Back in 1940’s a young man named William Wilson Sr. established Wilson Drugs on 7th Avenue. He sold the drug store to fellow friend Jack Lovingood when he retired in 1948. Mr. Wilson (Pharmacist) Re-Opened Economy Drugs in 1948, with a new location on 4th and Main Street as a local pharmacy and soda shop.
Until 1966, brothers Bill Wilson and Bob Wilson R. Ph. maintained that location and then moved the drug store to the countryside of 605 5th Avenue West, where it currently resides today. They wanted to move it closer to the hospital to reach more of their customers. They also established a new idea of a Drive-Thru window for sick patients. It is one of oldest drive-thru windows in the state of NC and is still in operation today.
In 1982, the Wilson brothers sold Economy Drugs to Mr. Robert Whatley who then owned and operated it from 1982-1995 as Economart Pharmacy. He established three locations Hendersonville, Etowah and Brevard NC locations.
As a young pharmacy student and Pharmacist, Jack Romer worked for Economart until October 1995 when he had the opportunity to purchase the store. At that time he approached Flip Fisher and Larry Baber at Whitley Drugs of the idea possibly buying Economart from Robert Whatley and becoming partners is two drug stores. And so they did. They bought Economart Pharmacy and returned the name to Economy Drugs to honor the history of the store with the Wilson family.
This was eventually accomplished and Jack became partners with Flip and Larry in both stores. Larry Baber retired in 2001 and Dan Butts bought his share at that time. Presently the corporation that consists of Whitley Drugs and Economy Drugs is owned by Pharmacists Dan Butts, Flip Fisher, and Jack Romer.